Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Joggler's parkour career over before it started

Back in March I wrote this post about being a klutz when I'm not joggling or juggling.

I further proved this point yesterday after work in a painfully unsuccessful jump over a parking lot barrier. The casual shoes I was wearing were too loose. As I jumped up to hurdle the metal barricade my shoe flopped around a messed up my take-off and the next thing I knew my foot caught the edge of the metal and I crashed ignominiously to the ground.

I would have been embarrassed were it not for the excruciating pain in my left shin, which took the brunt of the impact. After hobbling to the subway the trying not to whimper out loud on my trip home, I went to a walk-in clinic to get the damage assessed.

There was a big gash in the shin about 8 cm long, but it wasn't deep enough to warrant stitches. It feels like I might have torn something in my knee, but it's too hard to tell with all the swelling around the surface wound.

So for now, I rest, and contemplate my future now that parkour has been scratched off my Things To Do Before I Die list.

1 comment:

Perry said...

I'd never heard of the term parkour so thanks for inspiring a look up.

Maybe it's a joggler thing but I had a parkour-esque mishap just over a year ago in Las Vegas.

I tried to hoist my way over a fence but tumbled to the ground when the gate started opening.

That hurt.

Be safe out there. Soon you'll be in full-blown World Record training mode.

Perry, 44